Takes: 4.5 hours
- 1 duck
- 3 tsp sea salt
- 4 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 3 spring onions
- 4 slices fresh ginger root, crushed
- 60g honey
- 3 tbsp organic ginger wine
- 1.2 litres water
- 1 cucumber, to serve
- Clean the duck well, then blanch in boiling water. Remove and rinse in cold water, and rub the cavity with the salt.
- Put all the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan, add teh water and bring to the boil. Add the duck, breast-side down, bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Turn the bird over and cook, still covered, for a further 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the bird cool in the liquid, without lifting the lid, for at least 4 hours.
- Remove the duck and drain. Pull the meat off and use a little of the strained liquid as a sauce.
- Serve with sliced cucumber and rice. The cooking liquid can be served as soup.